Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merry Xmas? Think again...

It is definately not an enviable thing being prolly the eldest (ok fine!! oldest!!) among my clique of friends, classmates and colleagues, perhaps to the extend of being a relic to be placed on an ancestral altar to be worshipped by descendents.

It doesn't help also that Christmas is just around the corner, and you're still single. A walk down Orchard Road, City Hall, Suntec or whatever (where the hell do youngsters go nowadays?!) at this festive period is enough to get one frustrated and annoyed. With the big fat old man with white beard and red outfit waving at you like they're beckoning you through the gates of hell, it's really just the kind of festive mood which we can jolly well do without. And if your attention isn't caught by the creature (okok...I mean Santa), you conveniently run into your fair share of couples parading their coupledom, oblivious of the feelings of others.

Everywhere you go these Happily Attacheds (HA) appear, as if their purpose in life is to remind you that this is the time for family and love and just too bad you are alone.

I was at Kinokuniya the other day, shopping for a book when I saw a couple, prolly in their twenties, discussing loudly on whether they should buy a "Home Decor" book.

HA1 : Dear, should WE buy this book? We can get some inspirations on how to renovate OUR new home.

HA2: You choose lah, I trust your taste *lovey dovey gazing at each other*

I swear I almost went up to give both of them a slap! Yucks!! C'mon, its just a book. Just for God's sake get it and leave!!

A quick check with my friends on how they will be spending their Xmas left me feeling more lonely than ever. Standard answers ranges from "oh accompany BF lor", "see where my hubby goes", "duno leh, my BF/GF plans everything" and the list goes on.

Don't you just hate Xmas!! Especially when you are reaching your 30s and still single...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Join me.. do assignments on Christmas! :D

Anonymous said...

ya... Xmas sucks hahahha