Friday, January 23, 2009

Ang Baos

In a few days time, it will be Chinese New Year. Aroma of Bak Kwa (BBQ pork) in the air, seas of red everywhere, Mandarin oranges all over, screaming kids running around, boisterous people involved in their self-made gambling dens and songs of Chinese New Year blasting your ears.

Did I miss out the most iconic item of Chinese New Year - Ang Baos? Nope, as I intend to share my observation of Ang Baos in this entry.

Traditionally, Ang Baos were given out by the elders as well as married couples to the kids and the singles. This gesture symbolised good luck to both the giver and the recipient. Over the years, this traditional had somewhat warped. People of present time place more emphasis on the monetary aspect and forget about the symbolic reason behind the gesture of giving out Ang Baos. Those who receive Ang Baos tend to judge the giver by the amount they put in the Ang Baos while on the other hand, the givers are often very "cautious" about the amount they give to the recipients.

Many of my friends and colleagues are married (YES I know I'm old...) and during the Chinese New Year period, it is inevitable that the subject of giving out Ang Baos would be surfaced. A very quick count of the number of married friends and colleagues whom I had casually asked if they would be giving out Ang Baos and ALL gave similar replies. "Oh we are newly married", "we are still young", "Wait for a few more years then give lor" etc etc.

I am really puzzled by their replies. Giving out Ang Baos means good luck and able to give out Ang Baos is actually a blessing. I can't understand why there is so much "resistance" in giving out Ang Baos. Are you peeps still living in denial that you are single by not giving out Ang Baos? Are you peeps sooo poor that you can't even afford a $2 note? Are you peeps embarassed that you are giving out Ang Baos? I don't really care how much you are giving me but what matters most is the sharing of good luck and blessings with one another.

Sigh...what's the world becoming to.....

No comments: